The following is taken from Deep Ecology: Living as if Nature Matteredby Bill Devall and George Sessions, 1985 Gibbs M. Smith, Inc. P22
This is a pretty cool quiz to take to test you bio-regional knowledge. If you have to cheat and google the questions, then you already have your results. Feel free to leave your answers/results in the comments section below.
Trace the water you drink from precipitation to tap.
- How many days until the moon is full (plus or minus a couple of days?)
- Describe the soil around your home
- What were the primary subsistence techniques of the culture(s) that lived in your area before you?
- Name five native edible plants in your bioregion and their season(s) of availability.
- From what direction do winter storms generally come in your region?
- Where does your garbage go?
- How long is the growing season where you live?
- On what day of the year are the shadows the shortest where you live?
- Name five trees in your area. Are any of them native? If you can’t name names, describe them.
- Name five resident and any migratory birds in your area.
- What is the land use history by humans in your bioregion during the past century?
- What primary geological event/process influenced the landform where you live?
- What species have become extinct in your area?
- What are the major plant-associations in your area?
- From where you are reading this, point north
- What spring wildflower is consistently among the first to bloom where you live?
- What kind of rocks and minerals are found in your bioregion?
- Were the stars out last night?
- Name some beings (nonhuman), which share your place.
- Do you celebrate the turning of the summer and winter solstice? If so, how do you celebrate?
- How many people live next door to you? What are their names?
- How much gasoline do you use a week, on average?
- What energy costs you the most money? What kind of energy is it?
- What developed and potential energy sources are in your area?
- What plans are there for massive development of energy or mineral resources in your bioregion?
- What is the largest wilderness area in your bioregion?